SEALAND 1:160 Series
SEALAND container models;
(from Wikipedia): (the new)SeaLand, a division of the Maersk Group, is an intra-regional container shipping company headquartered in Miramar, Florida with representation in 29 countries across the Americas.
The original SeaLand was founded by the late Malcom McLean, an American trucking entrepreneur, who revolutionized the shipping industry by packing goods in uniform containers (containerization) that could be transported quickly and seamlessly between modes of transportation.
- On April 26, 1956, McLean introduced the world's first container ship, the Ideal-X, which sailed from Newark, New Jersey to Houston, Texas with 58 aluminum trailers (containers) on its deck.
- In April 1960, the company name was changed from Pan-Atlantic Steamship Corporation to Sea-Land Service, Inc., an international shipping company.
- From 1960 to 1999, SeaLand was owned by R.J. Reynolds Co., CSX Corporation and others.
- In March 1999, CSX separated SeaLand into three entities: an international shipping company, a domestic shipping company, and a terminal operator.
- In December 1999, Maersk Line’s parent company A.P. Moller – Maersk acquired the international container shipping business and the SeaLand name.
- In 2000, Maersk Line changed its commercial name globally to "Maersk SeaLand" as a result of SeaLand’s acquisition the previous year.
- In 2003, the Carlisle Group bought the domestic shipping line from CSX and changed the name to Horizon Lines.
- In 2006, the commercial name SeaLand ceased to exist when, the then known as "Maersk SeaLand," changed its name to "Maersk Line" after the purchase of Royal P&O Nedlloyd.
- In January 2014, due to the strong brand recognition throughout the intra-Americas region,the Maersk Group announced the revival of the SeaLand brand as a specialized intra-regional carrier, taking over the existing Maersk Line network for intra-Americas trade starting January 2015.
- In January 2015, SeaLand started operations as the standalone carrier of the Americas for Maersk Group.